Adaptations & improvements

We want you to live as independently and safely in your home as possible.


We can help

We can help provide adaptations to your home if you are having difficulty in managing personal or domestic tasks in or around your home. We can also provide equipment or an adaptation to a property to help family members or a carer assist an older or disabled person.

Types of adaptations

There are two categories of adaptation:

A Minor adaptation is a small adjustment which can make a big difference such as changing door handles or fitting a grab rail.

A Major adaptation is significant work including adapting a bathroom or kitchen, fitting automatic doors or fitting an access ramp.

How to request an adaptation

Minor work

If you need a small adjustment to your home, please contact us to discuss your needs. We will arrange for the adaptation to be carried out as soon as possible. There are no charges for minor adaptations.

Major work

If you think you would benefit from a bigger adaptation, you will require a full assessment of your needs by a qualified Occupational Therapist. If the Occupational Therapist decides that you need an adaptation we will help you get the adaptation that you need. Hornsey Housing Trust works with Haringey Integrated Locality Team to help fast-track Occupational Therapy assessment, rather than join the Council waiting list.

Who pays for the work?

We are able to access a certain amount of grant funding each year through Disabled Facilities Grants to help carry out adaptations that have been recommended by a suitably qualified professional, such as an Occupational Therapist. Our staff can help you to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant and guide you through the process of having the work carried out.

Find out more

For information or advice about adaptations, please contact us