Transfers and mutual exchanges

We hope that when you moved into your home it was suitable for your needs.


However, sometimes your circumstances change so that you want or need to consider moving home. This could be to be closer to family members who provide care for you, or because mobility issues mean you are in need of a ground floor flat or a flat in a block with a lift. Whatever the situation, we will help you move if you need to.


If you are already a tenant with the Trust, you can ask to move to another property owned by us. This is called a ‘transfer’.

Priority is given to applicants who need to move for a medical or health-related reason, such as limited mobility requiring ground floor or lift access, or the extra support of living in one of our sheltered schemes.

If you need any information or assistance then please contact us.

Mutual exchanges

A ‘mutual exchange’ is where you swap your home with another Trust tenant or a tenant of another housing association or council.

To do this, both tenants need permission from their respective landlords – which can sometimes be refused in certain circumstances.

Our allocations policy details the criteria required for an exchange or contact us for more information on mutual exchanges


Hornsey Housing Trust is a member of Homeswapper, the UK’s largest mutual exchange scheme. You can register for free online at the Homeswapper website.

Once registered, your home is matched with those of other tenants looking to move. You will receive an email from Homeswapper to let you know when a match has been found.